Hearn reveals World title talks for Burnett – confirms Belfast as venue
Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn has revealed that he is in talks with a number of the current bantamweight World champions regarding a title fight with Belfast’s Ryan Burnett [15(9)-0].
North Belfast’s Burnett currently holds the British 118lbs title, which he defended for the fist time last month against Liverpool’s Ryan Farrag. Now Hearn wants the 24 year old to move up in level.
The English promoter had previously said that he wanted Burnett to fight in the Titanic City this year, but this fight date was shelved. Explaining the reason for this, Hearn said that “we wanted to go back to Belfast with Ryan Burnett this year for a European title or British title, but because boxing’s changed, you can only really bring him back for the World title.”
This title shot will not take place till April at the earliest, but Hearn is committed to securing a fight for World honours, and he outlined how “with Ryan Burnett, we want to get him a World title shot in early next year. We’ve been talking to a couple of the champions already.”
“It has to be [in Belfast]. The main problem we’ve got, is getting availability at the Odyssey which is not showing, in January, February, or March, any Saturday, which is a killer.”
The divisions current champions are:
Shinsuke Yamanaka (WBC) – Japan – [26(18)-0-2]
Rau’shee Warren (WBA) – USA – [14(4)-1(0)]
Lee Haskins (IBF) – UK – [34(14)-3(3)]
Marlon Tapales (WBO) – Philippines – [29(12)-2(1)]
Hearn has previously said that he is targeting either of Tapales or Haskins for Burnett – although Bristolian Haskins has since agreed to defend his belt in Japan on New Year’s Eve against Shohei Omori.