Headline News

Lynn Harvey loses second pro fight

There was blood, guts, but no glory for Lynn Harvey in Dublin on Satruday night.

The Celtic Warrior Gym puncher was out pointed 55-60 by Spaniard Mary Romero after a highly entertaining six rounds of action.

Harvey was full of bravery and endeavour throughout, she certainly didn’t hide, but it proved a step up to soon for a fighter who hasn’t fought in a year.

There is still some fine-tuning to be done, but it seemed this her opponent, who usually competes at bantamweight was too big for the flyweight title hopeful.

The Hunter stalked her prey from the off, but Romero won the battle of the jabs in the first stanza. Harvey was setting the pace against the bigger opponent and worked well when she got into range, but her opponent had some success of her own in the opener

Harvey again went in search of work in the second, but the Spaniard, who once fought Katie Taylor, found a home for her right hand and while the Dubliner had the higher work rate, the bigger shots were coming from her opponent.

The physical advantage became apparent in the third and she began to land some punishing shots. The Kilbarrack native wasn’t deterred and battled bravely, but she returned to the corner with a mark under her eye.

The fourth saw the former Senior Champion come forward with better head movement and she enjoyed more success as a result, but when she looked to work inside the strong Spaniard tied her up.

Harvey landed a crisp right in the fifth, but her opponent continued to stick out the jab and throw big right hands, some of which Harvey took. They didn’t stop her forcing the issue, but they were scoring shots nonetheless.

Such was the size difference that a Harvey stoppage never looked likely, but the popular Dublin favourite opened up a massive cut over her opponents eye in the last and her corner screamed for her to go for the kill suspecting the Spaniard was on the way out.

However, an entertaining clash ended with both trading more leather than an adult shop in Amsterdam.

There was tension around the Stadium waiting for the scores, but there was no joyous release as the Mickey Vann awarded the Spaniard the result.



Integral part of the Irish boxing community for over 13 years