Jay Byrne wants to Crank it up with Whitehouse title fight

Jay Byrne [4(1)-1(0)] is a busy man.

The fighter-manager today announced the first addition to his new pro stable, Karl Kelly, and Byrne fights on a big Sky Sports show in Scotland next Saturday.

Now the Loughlinstown welterweight has revealed that there is a possible title tilt on the horizon for him next month.

After his fight with Rio Olympian Josh Kelly on April 15th, Byrne will return to Dublin for the ‘Celtic Clash 2’ bill at the National Stadium, and it is here where he wants to make yet another step up and fight for his first pro title.

On the card promoted by Tony Davitt and Leonard Gunning, an eight-round title fight with Gerard Whitehouse [5(1)-0] has been mooted.

Byrne is keen for the fight, but claims he has been snubbed by the young Balbriggan boxer’s manager.

When asked about the talk, the 30 year old told Irish-Boxing.com that “I accepted the fight on first offer. Tony [Davitt] refused straight away and said he would look into it and then said I am not a worthy opponent.”

Byrne is not happy with this assessment of his talents and he believes that he brings a resumé and fanbase to the table which he hopes will force Davitt to reconsider.

‘The Negotiator’ reasoned that “I’ve fought way better opponents from day one and the level of opponents I am fighting certainly makes me a better draw for the title. I bring a way bigger crowd, I’ve a much bigger fanbase, and I’m way more active.”

“I respect Gerard, he’s a nice guy. But if he’s standing in my way of a title then I want to put a stop to that.”

The two share one common opponent, Irish-Boxing.com favourite Sergio Abad. Whitehouse outpointed the Spaniard (60:54) in a fight of the year contender last November, while Byrne also had a scorecard win (58:57) over Abad in February.

Fingal’s Whitehouse has not fought since his Abad bout, having a fight date last week on the Táimid Laochra bill fall through, and he has spoken of his desire to kick on on May 27th. Byrne was also due to appear on the Táimid Laochra card, and also went the full six last month with Matchroom middleweight prospect Felix Cash.

Also set to feature on the Celtic Clash bill next month are Lynn Harvey, Eric Donovan, Sean Creagh, Stephen Carroll, Carl McDonald, Vladimir Belujsky, and debutants Keane McMahon, Liam Gaynor, John Joyce, and Regan Buckley, with more to be announced.

Tickets for ‘Celtic Clash 2: The Rising’ will be priced at €15 (Under 15s), €30, €40, €45, and €55 (Premium), and will be available from the boxers involved in the near future.

Photo Credit:
Jay Byrne – The Fighting Irish
Crank Whitehouse – Laszlo Geczo Photography

Joe O'Neill

Reporting on Irish boxing the past five years. Work has appeared on irish-boxing.com, Boxing News, the42.ie, and local and national media. Provide live ringside updates, occasional interviews, and special features on the future of Irish boxing. email: joneill6@tcd.ie