Roy Returns! – Sheahan to make comeback after being paid Last Man Standing winnings


Roy Sheahan [4(1)-0] will finally make his return to the ring next month.

It has been confirmed this afternoon that the Athy middleweight will fight again on Friday December 7th as part of Ray Moylette’s big Mayo Homecoming card at the Royal Theater in Castlebar.

It looks, hopefully, to be the start of a new chapter in the career of Sheahan who has suffered a rollercoaster 2018.

‘The Joker’ had a dream night back in March, scoring three wins at the National Stadium to be crowned Ireland’s Last Man Standing, live on TG4.

This all, however, would turn into a nightmare when Sheahan would claim, and the Boxing Union of Ireland would confirm, that he was not paid the €26,000 winnings he was due.

READ: Roy Sheahan reveals he has still not received Last Man Standing winnings

Only €5,000 was initially given to Sheahan, with the BUI stepping in to provide him with the bond that the event’s promoter, Red Corner Promotions, had lodged. Red Corner were, according to the BUI, liable for the other €21,000 and the €5,000 due to the St Michael’s Athy club.

The 34-year-old would insist that he would not return to the ring until he had been paid in full and, with Red Corner disappearing from view, Assassin Promotions came into frame.

READ: Roy Sheahan breaks Last Man Standing silence

The English outfit were part of the Last Man Standing event although not in charge of prize monies. Cleared of wrongdoing by the BUI, they would partner with Jay Byrne for a show in July which was cancelled and ran their own first show in October.

The card next month is an Assassin Promotions bill, and Irish-Boxing.com understands that the outfit, who have long been keen to sign Sheahan, have provided the €21,000 owed by Red Corner.

The €5,000 to St Michael’s Athy remains unpaid.

Assassin had previously worked with Sheahan in the build-up to Last Man Standing, providing a debut fight at the York Hall and funding his training with Steven O’Rourke in Dublin. However, nothing was ever, and still hasn’t been, signed between the two parties.

roy ray

Conor Slater of Assassin Boxing said he is “delighted to be working with Roy again.”

Kildare’s Sheahan returns at 34 but with a big profile and undoubted talent.

Considering the short notice, the 2007 EU gold medallist will fight in a four-rounder next month but, hopefully, can build momentum in the new year.

Sheahan said that “I want to thank every involved in paying me and everyone that helped.”

“I won’t be 100% but I’ll be ready for four rounds!”

The undercard next month also features Spike O’Sullivan, Luis Garcia, Victor Rabei, Craig O’Brien, Dylan Moran, Niall O’Connor, Johnny Corcoran, Ollie Towey, Graham McCormack Owen Duffy, Paddy Nevin, and debutants Aaron Gethins and Ruadhan Farrell.

Moylette headlines in a WBC International lightweight title fight versus Mexican Chistian Uruzquieta.

Kildare Boxing is proudly supported by Liffey Crane Hire

Photo Credit: Ricardo Guglielminotti – The Fighting Irish (@thefIrish)

dpg

logo may

Joe O'Neill

Reporting on Irish boxing the past five years. Work has appeared on irish-boxing.com, Boxing News, the42.ie, and local and national media. Provide live ringside updates, occasional interviews, and special features on the future of Irish boxing. email: [email protected]