New pro Donnelly ready to be fast-tracked

Stephen Donnelly wants to be fast tracked after finally turning over.

Ireland’s best-performing fighter at the disastrous 2016 Olympic Games where he won two fights has signed a management deal with Mack The Knife Global.

The 29-year-old had confirmed on social media last month that he was set to make a move to the paid game, but most had expected it to happen much earlier.

The double Commonwealth bronze medalist was a sought after fighter post Rio and has flirted with ditching the vest over the last two years.

However, talks with Cyclone Promotions before Rio and with Lou DiBella, Espinoza Boxing, and MTK Global afterwards came to nothing and Donnelly is only turning over now.

The Ballymena man, whose move to the pro’s was first revealed by Irish-Boxing.com, is set to make his debut on the Carl Frampton v Luke Jackson undercard at Windsor Park on Saturday August 18th and is keen to get the ball rolling on what he believes will be a successful career.

“I’ve been to three Commonwealth Games and then qualified for the Olympics through the semi-pro World Series of Boxing,” said ‘The Donn’.

“I got through to the last eight in Rio and that was great for me despite a poor Olympics for Ireland. I’ve won Ulster and Irish titles and all the rest as an amateur.

“I’ve always said that the professional game would suit me. If you look at the end of my amateur career, I was starting to fight a lot more. My style was becoming pro.”

“I can box and I can fight and I’ll be showing that on my debut. I’m knuckling down to train every day. I’m very dedicated.”

“I want to be fast-tracked and get going straight away. I believe I’ve the talent to go very far in this game.”

dpg

logo may

irishboxing

Integral part of the Irish boxing community for over 13 years