MEXI-NO-GO – Team Hogan rubbish reports of Monterrey Munguia clash


Mexico as venue for Dennis Hogan versus WBO world champion Jaime Munguia is a ‘no go’ and a ‘ridiculous’ suggestion Team Hogan have told Irish-Boxing.com.

However, DDP Promotions have indicated that there is a stepaside avenue for the Mexican to make his next defence in his home country if a deal can be reached.

After the big-for-the-weight champ, who has won four world title fights in the last 12 months, defeated Takeshi Inoue he looked certain to defend his strap against the patient Kildare mandatory. 

It was reported that the fight had been pencilled in for Monterrey, Mexico and Saturday April 13th with the WBO then ordering negotiations to commence and have given both parties till March 2nd to agree terms.

Paul Keegan of DDP told Irish-Boxing.com Hogan [28(7)-1(0)-1] won’t be going to Mexico, pointing out it makes no sense for either party in terms of getting the best value for the fight.  The promoter also revealed that Munguia’s co-promoters, Golden Boy, were caught off guard when they read the reports coming out of Mexico.

The Brisbane-based Dub explained how “our plan is to either have that fight here in Australia or in the States. Mexico is a no-go as far as we are concerned.”

Hogan would question why Munguia [32(26)-0] would be making an under-the-radar defence in his homeland rather than on a more lucrative stage in America – and the suggestion was that there are threads of doubt among the Mexican’s team regarding a fight with ‘The Hurricane’

Keegan can’t fathom the Mexico talk.

“They want to build Munguia up in the States, there is a huge Irish community in the States so to even think about Mexico as a location is ridiculous,” he reasoned before revealing he was surprised to hear Mexico as a venue even mentioned. 

“The announcement took everyone by surprise even his co-promoters Golden Boy. I had only spoken to president Eric [Gomez] the day before who mentioned nothing.”

Negotiations have now upped a level after the WBO’s order and Keegan expects a deal to be reached before a purse bids situation is triggered.

The sponsor-turned-promoter outlined how “I received the official letter from the WBO on Sunday morning that a deal had to be reached before the end of February or we go to purse bids I am confident that we will get everything sorted within the next week or so.”

Although Hogan has been craving a shot and has felt it lay just around the corner since 2017 it seems, if negotiations go well, and a financially agreeable deal is struck, he could allow Munguia to have another voluntary defence in Mexico and take another tune-up himself before evoking his mandatory right later in the year.

“We are happy to put our fight back a few weeks if that’s what suits us and Dennis, but they have to finalise our fight first,” explained Keegan.

Kildare boxing is proudly supported by Liffey Crane Hire

dpg

logo may

Jonny Stapleton

Irish-boxing.com contributor for 15 years and editor for the past decade. Have been covering boxing for over 16 years and writing about sport for a living for 19 years. Former Assistant Sports editor for the Gazette News Paper Group and former Tallaght Voice Sports Editor. Have had work published in publications around the world when working as a freelance journalist. Also co-founder of Junior Sports Media and Leinster Rugby PRO of the Year winner. email: editoririshboxing@gmail.com