Dylan Moran responds to diabolical Mexican disaster

Dylan Moran [10(5)-1(1)] will have to wait to make a return to winning ways after a disastrous night in Mexico.

It’s not that ‘The Real Deal’ suffered a second consecutive defeat, rather his fight was pulled just minutes before he was scheduled to fight.

The Waterford native made the trip to Mexico hoping to secure a win and put his sole career defeat – suffered at the gloves of Dennis Okoth in America in July – further behind him. 

The 25-year-old weighed in on Friday, made the trip to the Big Punch Arena in Tijuana on Saturday night, got gloved up and warmed up for a fight with Israel Ornelas, only to be told the fight was off last minute. 

At the final hour the Mexican Commission informed Moran and his team that the fight was off because they had issue with his opponent.

It’s a massive blow for the Deise welter, especially considering he made the trip to Mexico and was determined to return to winning ways in a country and city he was successful in, in November of last year.

Speaking online after he had returned to his hotel Moran said:

“I didn’t get to fight tonight. I was sat in the dressing room all gloved up and good to go. Then the Commission came in and said they had a problem with my opponent and the fight is not going ahead.

‘I don’t know what to say really. The last couple of weeks have been a real roller-coaster. I took a fight on the other side of the world to get my career back on track and now this happens. I’d love to say I am done with boxing I am giving it up, but that attitude didn’t get me here. I want to thank everyone that go in touch over the last few days. The support has been amazing and came from all over. Hopefully I’ll see everyone in Belfast.”

It’s understandably a big blow for the Star Boxing fighter, but the disappointment may be off set somewhat by the fact Moran has another fight lined up.

Moran is scheduled to trade leather with Pal Olah on the ‘He Who Dares’ card, which is set for the Devenish and October 25. 

The ambitious fighters focus will now switch to that date and that fight.

Jonny Stapleton

Irish-boxing.com contributor for 15 years and editor for the past decade. Have been covering boxing for over 16 years and writing about sport for a living for 19 years. Former Assistant Sports editor for the Gazette News Paper Group and former Tallaght Voice Sports Editor. Have had work published in publications around the world when working as a freelance journalist. Also co-founder of Junior Sports Media and Leinster Rugby PRO of the Year winner. email: editoririshboxing@gmail.com