Lou DiBella claims Team Amanda Serrano turned down the chance to fight Katie Taylor [15(6)-0] this coming August before the financials were discussed.
On Friday night Serrano [38(28)-1(0)-1] revealed that the proposed Matchroom head quarters hosted clash was off.
Her coach and manager Jordan Maldonado backed up the claims, stating that the purse was 50% less than the one agreed on three previous occasions.
However, the seven weight world champion’s promoter Lou DiBella refutes purse can be an excuse.
The New York based fight maker, who co promotes Joe Ward and previously worked with Andy Lee and Matthew Macklin, told Sports Illustrated that Team Serrano pulled out of the fight before the financials were terms were raised.
Lou DiBella, who promotes @Serranosisters, tells SI there was no request of a 50% cut. Says @EddieHearn care to him about Amanda taking a pay cut, but Serrano’s team declined before they even got to talk numbers. https://t.co/oY8EDU5AoF— Chris Mannix (@SIChrisMannix) June 19, 2020
It’s not the first time the fight has been in jeopardy. Serrano has chased and ran away from the fight on different stages over the last two years.
Such is the magnitude of the fight, a clash being billed as the ‘biggest female fight of all time’, it has to happen.
Serrano and her team may be looking to push it back until boxing is allowed host crowds again, to maximize revenue and get rid of a Covid tax.