Ger Healy eager to grab Last Man Standing opening
Ger Healy [6(0)-4(1)-1] says he is ready to fill one of the Last Man Standing voids.
The Belfast middleweight applied to compete in a competition with a minimum of €25,000 on offer for the winner late last year, but wasn’t one of the eight revealed on January 10.
However, the Ray Ginley trained puncher claims he is still willing and able to compete and made clear his desire to enter.
Since the official announcement, Healy’s stablemate Padraig McCrory, Mayo’s Henry Coyle, and Dubliner Thomas Finnegan have all unfortunately withdrawn, leaving the single-elimination tournament in need of three replacements.
Like both Roscommon’s Darren Cruise and Dublin-based Scot John McCallum, ‘Boom Boom’ Healy has told Irish-Boxing.com that he is also ready, willing, and able to step up to the plate.
“My manager Kieran [Farrell] did apply on my behalf and I was disappointed not to be picked,” explained the 34-year-old.
“Thankfully Mark Ginley is getting me a run out on his show [Danger at The Devenish on February 10th].”
“Of course, I would still go for it if the offer is there. I would love to fight in Last Man Standing,” Healy added.
The five confirmed Irish fighters set to trade leather in the exciting Prizefighter-style competition make for exciting reading.
Healy admits Bernard Roe, Roy Sheahan, Alfredo Meli, Chris Blaney and Sean McGlinchey will ensure a competitive night but suggests he could cause an upset if he gets the call.
“It’s a strong line up with some good fighters on it but it’s never the favourite that wins. I think I would have a great chance in it as it will suit my style,” the popular fighter continued before revealing he would still fight on February 10th if he was invited into the contest.
“I would say I would still fight at the Devenish. It would be good to get rounds in before the Last Man Standing, it will get me more than ready for it.”
Photo Credit: Ricardo Guglielminotti – The Fighting Irish (@ThefIrish)