The promoter of the Leeside Revolution card claims James Power was offered the same package to fight on the Neptune Stadium fight night as he would have received to fight on any other card.
The popular teen seemed the perfect undercard for the first pro show to play out in Cork for over a decade, but told Irish-boxing.com over the weekend that an offer made on Friday wasn’t up to scratch.
The 18-year-old, who has yet to fight in Ireland, said he was distraught after receiving an offer that he claimed made no financial sense because he was desperate for his first Irish fight to play out in his home county.
However, the promoter of the show Martin Horgan contacted the site to defend his corner and pointed out the offer made was industry standard as well as a deal all other potential undercard fighters were offered.
“What would been outlined to his management is the same deal as other fighters on the undercard,” he told Irish-Boxing.com
“That involves selling tickets and getting a purse plus a percentage on tickets. It’s pretty much the same deal he would get at any Irish show. So there was no deal laid out to agree to , no negotiation and certainly no attempt to get a better deal.”
Most argue Power is ideal for the show considering his profile and the potential to build more regular shows on his name, but Horgan suggests the show is also ideal for the young fighter.
“James more than any other fighter on the undercard should be happy to be on this show. It’s not a small show, it’s a stadium event in Cork. He is local and should be able to sell a decent few tickets and showcase himself to his fans and save them the expense of travelling,” he adds before suggesting the fighter would have made more money on this fight than all of his four previous clashes put together.
“Even the main event fighter Noely Murphy has to sell tickets and is glad to do so. Without ticket sales these events are not possible. James would have earned more in this fight than he did in his last four fights put together so [his comments make] no sense at all.”
Horgan says he is shocked as to why the fighter hasn’t agreed to trade leather on the a card topped by an Irish title fight between local favourite Noel Murphy and Dublin fighter Jay Byrne.
The promoter also hints that Power may never have had ambition to be on the card. Although it has to be noted the fighter argues the opposite and the fighter with his Leaving Cert looming claims he was under a self-imposed social media ban when the card was announced.
“I’m bewildered to why this has happened he has seriously misinformed you of the circumstances.”
“It had been pointed out to me James didn’t show a great deal of interest in the show, with no mention on social media in weeks – and when asked on social media about Cork event is he on.”
“He didn’t acknowledge the July 20th event, he said you will all see me some time in Cork in the future, in a separate post he said he’s training in the summer and you will all see me in September.”
Any back and forth seems unnecessary and not ideal with the teen’s Leaving cert looming, but both parties contacted the site, Power to explain to his fans why he wouldn’t be on the show and the promoter to defend his corner in relation to purse offered.
Power did finish by wishing the show well and Horgan likewise wished the fighter the best of luck in his exams.
“James is a young lad and really dont want him pressured into a response ,we wish him luck in his Irish debut when it happens,” he adds before advertising a free slot on what promises to be a big night of action.
“The show goes on July 20th there are some cracking fights to be announced. It now looks like we got a spot for another fight. So any managers or fighters that want on they can get in contact.”