‘Angry’ Carl Frampton wants ‘to go out in a blaze of glory’ in world title fight

A little earlier than expected this week, but Carl Frampton is calling for a world title fight next.

‘The Jackal’ most certainly would have been calling out the worlds featherweight champions if he had emerged victorious over Emmanuel Dominguez in Philadelphia this Saturday night. 

However, the fight was called off after a bizarre serious of events lead to him breaking his hand. 

Still Frampton, who was promised a December world title tilt if he overcame the Mexican, is adamant he wants his next fight still to be for a world title. 

The 32-year-old doesn’t want to wait around and doesn’t want a warm up clash despite not fighting since December of last year. 

One of Ireland’s most successful fighters told the BBC he wants straight into world title action.   

“The plan was to have this fight and then go for a world title. So the plan is to still fight for a world title in my next fight,” he said.

“I want to push on and go straight for a world title – go straight in at the deep at end and go out in a blaze of glory,”

“I don’t want to fight at the level of opposition like Emmanuel Dominguez.

“If I get a world title shot in that fight I will do everything I can to win that fight.”

Frampton understandably revealed his primary emotion at present is anger. He has endured a frustrating period of the ring and was denied the chance to return to winning ways via a freak accident.

“I have lost a purse. I have lost a potential shot at a world title. I have lost 12 weeks away from my wife and kids. I am angry now more than anything,” he adds.

Frampton, who also stated he has enough evidence to prove those online questioning whether or not it was a genuine pull out wrong, was confident he was on course to produce a performance that would have made fans sit up and take note again.

“I felt like I was going to go in and put in an unbelievable performance. I felt like it was going to be a performance were people would sit up and say he is back to his best. It wasn’t to be, but it is with it is.”

In terms of going straight back into world title action Josh Warrington may prove the popular fighters best bet.

WBC title holder Leo Santa Cruz has never been to willing with regard to the rubber match, Oscar Valdez looks set to vacate the WBO strap meaning Shakur Stevenson gets to fight for the vacant title and Bob Arum isn’t too keen on pitting the American with his  Top Rank stablemate, whilst not many would take on Gary Russell Jr without a fight in 12 months.

There is also the super featherweight options Arum has suggested for the Jamie Moore trained operator, but a Warrington clash looks relatively easy to make provided the Leeds fighter wins in October and isn’t handed an IBF mandatory challenger.

dpg

 

Jonny Stapleton

Irish-boxing.com contributor for 15 years and editor for the past decade. Have been covering boxing for over 16 years and writing about sport for a living for 19 years. Former Assistant Sports editor for the Gazette News Paper Group and former Tallaght Voice Sports Editor. Have had work published in publications around the world when working as a freelance journalist. Also co-founder of Junior Sports Media and Leinster Rugby PRO of the Year winner. email: editoririshboxing@gmail.com