The Zanfer Promotions boss, who has guided Munguia for years and brought Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy on board last year, has alleged that Hogan was not trying to win the fight in Monterrey last Saturday.
The 34-year-old Irishman was viewed by most, bar the ringside judges, to have won the title fight and the final verdict has proved extremely controversial.
Hogan [28(7)-2(0)-1] seemed to have outsmarted, outboxed, and even outfought the reigning champion and, regardless of the result, many are viewing the 22-year-old in a new light and cooling their expectations.
Weight issues – along with the obviously stellar performance of Hogan – have been put forward as reasons for the fearsome Munguia struggling badly.
Zanfer’s Beltran, however, has pointed the finger at the tactics of Hogan – who landed the majority of clean, eye-catching shots and was the only fighter to do any visible damage with punches.
Claiming the ultra-confident Hogan did not try to win the fight – or, at least, not elect to carelessly stand and trade with the monstrous Mexican – Beltran outlined how “we obviously want to see that Jaime Munguia who destroys, who always comes out to overwhelm his opponents.”
“But the opponent, who was number one in the world, came out to complicate the fight rather than wanting to win it.”
Hogan’s promoter, Paul Keegan of DDP Sports, slammed Beltran for the rather laughable comments which were made on ESPN Deportes.
This article is just ridiculous, @dennis_h_hogan did not want to win that fight just spoil it ♂️ good god, I hope @jaimemunguia15 is a man of his word. @Irishboxingcom @peterkahn @GavanCasey @Kieza_cmail @ben_damon @ChrisGarry7 @AdamJackson_9 https://t.co/DSkiQmOn04
— Paul Keegan (@paulkeegs) April 17, 2019
Munguia, who initially said he felt the fight was a draw before changing his tune a short time later and claiming he “won clearly”, had previously complained of Hogan’s tactics.
The fortuitous champion said that Hogan “would hit me in the head and then give me a low blow. He would also hold and not let me get in my rhythm.”
Hogan, who returns home to Ireland today, is eager for the rematch and all parties expressed there willingness in the immediate aftermath in Monterrey on Saturday night.
The Munguia side, however, have been quiet on this side since.
Beltran has mooted a return as early as July but has not since spoken of a Hogan repeat.
DDP Sports have lodged a formal complaint with the WBO regarding the scoring of the bout and hope to see an investigation launched and, possibly, a rematch mandated.