More Mexican Madness for hungry Vladimir Belujsky


This Saturday night [June 2nd] Cork super middleweight Vladimir Belujsky will have his second fight and, amazingly, his second in Mexico.

For the second time in a matter of months, ‘The Slovak Rebel’ will step between the ropes in the famous fight city of Tijuana.

The 22-year-old is being kept busy, with this being his fourth fight of 2017 and there is something a bit old school about the whole process.

With the fight being in the somewhat looser auspices of Mexico, things are a bit grittier and, just two days out, Belujsky has no idea who he will be faced with.

It’s all part of the Mexican experience though for the Assassin Boxing man who told Irish-Boxing.com that “I probably won’t know [his opponent] until the weigh-in which is kind of exciting because it could be anyone.”

“It’s an amazing experience especially for a young fighter like me to be able to travel around the world and fight in the biggest boxing country in the in world.”

Mitchelstown’s Belujsky has had a crazy career thus far, with a debut draw with the notable tough Anthony Fox and a late-notice Last Man Standing defeat to Roy Sheahan being interspersed with three early stoppages.

The heavy-hitting fighter wants rounds but isn’t backing himself to go the distance this weekend.

He notes how “of course, as always, I will go looking for the knockout but I’d love to get a few rounds in but we’ll see what happens on the night.”

“It’s very important for me to keep busy now and I love it, I love fighting and training and always having something to work towards because it’s hard to stay motivated with no fight date on your mind.”

Indeed, Belujsky has two fight dates on his mind with a Dublin date on the inaugural JB Promotions bill at the National Stadium on July 7th.

An all-Irish clash had been hoped for but Belujsky may be left disappointed on this front. A fight with Kildare’s Chris Mullally had been mooted while his management have also proposed bouts with Darren Cruise and Sean McGlinchey.

Belujsky just wants to fight and explained how “I thought the fight against Mulally was done deal but then again I told my manager that I don’t believe he wants to take the risk and fight me and a few days later Kaz [Evans, manager] told me that fight is gone.”

“It’s disappointing because I’d love to fight someone good with a good record 50/50 fight rather than paying loads to bring over a journeyman but hopefully for July 7th we’ll get someone good even though it will cost more.”

dpg

logo may

Joe O'Neill

Reporting on Irish boxing the past five years. Work has appeared on irish-boxing.com, Boxing News, the42.ie, and local and national media. Provide live ringside updates, occasional interviews, and special features on the future of Irish boxing. email: joneill6@tcd.ie