02 July 2008 – by Mark Doyle
Wayne McCullough has laughed off reports that he has called time on his proud and illustrious career.
The former WBC bantamweight world champion announced after last month’s defeat by Juan Ruiz in the Cayman Islands that he might not return to the ring.
That was taken by many to mean that he had all but retired, but not so, according to the man himself.
“Contrary to press reporters, I haven’t officially announced my retirement although lately many journalists have felt the need to hang up my gloves for me,” McCullough said in a statment.
“One of my problems is that I wear my heart on my sleeve and tend to say what’s on my mind.
“Sometimes that gets me in trouble, and that’s what happened on June 20 following my withdrawal from a fight that I was winning against Juan Ruiz in the Cayman Islands,” he explained.
“After the bout I was being hard on myself and told the crowd on the night that ‘This might be my last fight’.
“Unfortunately, everyone assumed that meant I was retiring but I never intended to retire that night. I have always said I would think long and hard about that decision before I made any formal announcement.
“I’m extremely grateful that journalists – many of whom are my dear friends – have felt the need to write such moving tributes to me but please wait until I make the official announcement.
“I’m back in training and ready for my next fight.”