EU Champ turns down Sutcliffe clash but Dub expects bright Spring
Phil Sutcliffe will be ready to spring forward his career this coming Spring claims manager Pat Magee.
The Dubliner’s fans were eagerly awaiting the former Irish Senior Champions live TV debut, which was set to take place on the cancelled February 6 July card, in hopes those further a field would get suckered in by the ‘Succo punch’ and clamour to see him in action again.
However, that never transpired and the Crumlin BC graduate wasn’t afforded opportunity to show what he can do against former European title challenger Alexandre Lepelley earlier this month.
Manager Pat Magee then set about trying to secure a shot at the current EU champion Sandor Martin, but it seems once the Spaniard’s team done their homework they were keen to ensure their man wasn’t made a fool of by the exciting talent on April 1.
Magee however remains upbeat and assures the undefeated Dubliner will appear on a significant show in either March or April and is confident once fight fans and indeed promoters of note catch a glimpse of his charge things will start to snowball for the former Irish International.
“We made an offer to fight Sandor Martin,” Magee told Irish-boxing.com.
“They accepted the offer, but said the fight wouldn’t be for the title. We thought that was ok as a win over him would be good for Phillip’s ranking. Then they came back and said they wanted an eight rounder not a 10 rounder which again we agreed to. Then they came back on Monday and said they had a different opponent. I just don’t think they fancied the fight.”
“We are looking forward now and Phillip will be out in March or April on a big card. Once people get the chance to see him things will take off.”