Not only does Gary ‘Spike’ O’Sullivan [25(17)-2(1)] believe he has a better mustache than Bill The Butcher, he believes he is a more daunting prospect than the fearsome Bowery Boys boss from the 19th Century.
Cork middleweight has secured a major fight against against rising U.S. contender Antoine Douglas [22(16)-1(1)-1] on the chief support bout of the WBO middleweight title clash between champion and former opponent Billy Joe Saunders and home favourite David Lemieux at the Place Bell in Laval, Quebec, in Canada on Saturday December 16th.
The 10-round WBO Inter-Continental title fight will be shown live on U.S. premium cable network HBO and is seen as a bit of a coming out party for the American after rebuilding under the radar since suffering a blip against Avtandil Khurtsidze.
However, ‘Spike’ is adamant he can emulate the performance of a fighter that was scheduled to box Billy Joe Saunders and who Anthony Fitzgerald has some great sparring stories about.
Indeed, the former Irish champion says Team Douglas have made a massive error by offering him the fight and claims, rather than securing a dream win, he will have moustache-related nightmares after the pair meet.
“They selected me for this fight, big mistake. By the the time I am finished with him he will be having nightmares about little bald men with great moustaches. He got knocked out by the lad Billy Joe was meant to fight and will be getting knocked out again,” O’Sullivan told Irish-Boxing.com before raising his facial hair again.
“I am not surprised I got the fight. I just fought on ESPN and it was an exciting fight so it’s natural progression. Plus I have the best moustache in boxing. People compared me to Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York, but he hasn’t a patch on me. People were telling me that but then I watched the film on in-flight entertainment and I thought what an insult. My moustache is way better than that!” he joked, referring to boxing mad Irish actor Daniel Day Lewis.
The Paschal Collins-trained fighter wasn’t given the ideal amount of notice, possibly deliberately, but claims that while training wasn’t Douglas-focused up and until last week he has been in gym and as a result is fit and ready for action.
It’s part of a new mantra from the 33 year old, who jumped at the opportunity to headline a Golden Boy card on ESPN back in September and subsequently gave a career-best performance in stopping Nick Quigley.
The Mahon man outlined how the Douglas fight “had been rumoured for a about a month, but I only got it confirmed last week. I had been training away and keeping in shape. I was keeping up my conditioning to be relentless and now I can focus my attentions on him.”