Legends of Irish boxing Carl Frampton and Barry McGuigan will go head to head in the court room in January.
The now Top Rank fighter and his former manager were expected to have cases heard this year, but proceedings at the High Court in Belfast suffered a number of delays.
However, following a review hearing Mr Justice Colton confirmed the case will be heard the first month of 2020. “I’m confirming the trial date of January 20,” Mr Justice Colton told both parties lawyers.
Frampton’s lawsuit centres around alleged withheld earning for up to seven fights. Frampton’s lawyers previously told the court their case involved losses of up to £4 million – and the judge today directed them to set out and quantify the damages being claimed.
The 32-year-old is suing Barry McGuigan, Sandra McGuigan and Cyclone Promotions (UK) Ltd, claiming a failure to pay purse money from his bouts.
‘The Jackal’s’ lawsuit refers to contracts for fights in three different countries and bouts which date back as far as 2012.
It involves claims against the now dissolved Cyclone Promotions UK Ltd with regard to purse fees, broadcasting rights, ticket sales and merchandising from the second Leo Santa Cruz in Las Vegas in January 2017.
Frampton’s case is a counter-claim to proceeding brought against him in London by Cyclone. McGuigan’s lawyers argue Frampton is in breach of contract. Lawyers for the McGuigans have also stressed all of the allegations made by Frampton’s legal representatives are categorically denied.
In terms of fighting the January date would seem to suit the Belfast fighter. The former two weight world champion returns to the ring for the first time since his defeat to Josh Warrington last December in Las Vegas later this month. A victory over Tyler McCleary could set up a world title shot in 2020.
Spring or early Summer have been muted as potential time frame for a big fight, provided McCleary is successfully navigated, so late January is possibly the best case scenario for the fighter.