‘The Jackal’ missed out on a Belfast homecoming after his fight with Andres Gutierrez was cancelled the night before, and now he wants to go straight into a clash with IBF featherweight champ Lee Selby [25(9)-1(0)]
While Cyclone Promotions have confirmed they are in talks with Gutierrez to refix the fight, Frampton is keen to instead jump in with Selby and has sent a message to the Welshman’s team following some talk over the past week.
The Belfast boxer is not happy with how Team Selby are framing the fight, and has sought to clarify that, despite not currently holding a title, he is the big name and the ‘A side’ in the proposed bout.
Writing in his weekly column for the Sunday Life, Frampton outlined how “looking to the future, I’ve seen that Lee Selby’s team have had plenty to say about a possible fight between the two of us and, as I’ve said for a while, it’s a natural fight.”
“But I can’t agree with Selby’s coach Chris Sanigar who says that he would be the “A card” in the fight.” Sanigar seems to think that because he’s the IBF champion, but he wasn’t the A side last week and just because my fight fell through due to a freak accident suffered by Andres Gutierrez it doesn’t make him the A side now.”
“Being the A side is about being the fighter who draws the most support and brings the television interest.”
Due to capacity constraints in Ireland, a fight with Selby would seemingly have to take place at one of the big indoor venues in Britain such as the O2 in London or the Manchester Arena.
However, at the moment following a tough week, Frampton [23(14)-9(0)] is more focused on focusing on his family for the time being.
The 30 year old noted that “we’ll see what happens with my next fight but for now it’s about putting my family first and enjoying as much time as possible with the kids for the rest of the summer holidays.