Boxing Union of Ireland release statement on Paul Hyland Jr v Stephen Ormond Irish title mess


The Boxing Union of Ireland (BUI) released a statement late last night further clarifying their position on the proposed Paul Hyland Jr v Stephen Ormond Irish lightweight title fight.

The governing body last month authorised an Irish title fight for the pair on the Ryan Burnett v Zhanat Zhakiyanov undercard in Belfast on Saturday October 21st – but this was rescinded yesterday.

In a tweet sent out from their official account, the governing body simply stated:

Hyland’s manager Mark Dunlop was furious at this decision and the manner of the announcement, and would criticise the BUI.

The body – who elected a new president in Brian McKeever last week, replacing Mel Christle who remains on the executive board and ratings committee – gave additional details in a short statement published to their website last night.

The statement reiterated how the British Boxing Board of Control-licenced Hyland would have had to relinquish this licence and take out an Irish one to be able to fight for the Irish title and, as this did not happen within their deadline (which came over seven weeks before fight night) that the belt will not be on the line.

It also revealed that Ormond had not been notified by “any promoter” about the Irish title.

However, the BUI’s statement and the information provided by Dunlop does not line up.

The BUI assert that Dunlop confirmed to them that Hyland would not relinquish his British licence. However, Dunlop himself has claimed that he never made a definitive decision and had wanted to wait until closer to the fight before potentially swapping Hyland’s licence so as to guard against unforeseen circumstances such as injury or cancellation.

There certainly seems to have been a breakdown in communications between both parties as a disappointing episode draws to a close. The two best lightweights in Ireland fight on October 21st, but neither will be declared Irish champion afterwards.

The BUI’s statement in full read:

On August 25th the Boxing Union of Ireland (BUI) authorised an Irish title fight between Stephen Ormond and Paul Hyland Junior at 135lbs. Paul’s promoter Mark Dunlop was told that his fighter must take out an Irish Licence within seven days and relinquish his BBBoC licence, as under current EBU rules it is not possible to fight under dual licences.

On September 1st The BUI spoke to Mark Dunlop on the telephone asking if his fighter Paul Hyland Junior had made a decision regarding his licence. Mark stated that Paul would not be relinquishing his BBBoC Licence as he had secured a favourable British ranking and hoped to secure a British title eliminator in the near future. Mark was told that without an Irish licence, the bout with Stephen Ormond could no longer be sanctioned for the Irish title but that the Boxing Union of Ireland wished Paul well with his future fights.

The BUI has subsequently learned that neither Stephen Ormond nor his trainer, Paschal Collins, were contacted by any promoter with regard to fighting for an Irish title. The only title that Stephen Ormond and his trainer were made aware of was the IBF East/West Europe Lightweight Title

We wish both fighters the very best of luck in their upcoming fight.

gym trition

frayne carpentry

Joe O'Neill

Reporting on Irish boxing the past five years. Work has appeared on irish-boxing.com, Boxing News, the42.ie, and local and national media. Provide live ringside updates, occasional interviews, and special features on the future of Irish boxing. email: joneill6@tcd.ie