Big Sexy confident he has the gameplan to beat former wrestler Arnold The Giant


Sean Turner claims he is ready to clinch a career changing win over former wrestler  Arnold Gjergjaj on Saturday night. 

The Swiss based Kosovar offers ‘Big Sexy’ the chance to jump up the World rankings and the Dubliner claims he has been doing everything in his power to ensure he grabs his chance.

Turner [11(7)-1(0)] notes he trimmed down in fat but bulked up in muscle in a bid to prevent the bigger man with an impressive record – and wrestling experience – from nullifying the short, but powerful former National Elite champion ong the inside.

It’ won’t quite be Floyd Mayweather v the Big Show or Mike Tyson and Shawn Michaels – whose ringwalk music was once used by Turner – but the Pete Taylor-trained heavyweight revealed avoiding being wrestled when he reduces space against the 6’5 giant is part of the gameplan.

“I’ve put on some muscle and I’m about five kilos heavier for the fight than I was for my last one. He’s a big guy and I’ve heard he was a wrestler too, so I need to be strong for this fight in case he gets on the inside and want to tie me up. It’s all part of the plan,” Turner explained.

“Pete has been looking into him and watching his videos – he said he used to be a wrestler. Not a WWE wrestler! But an Olympic-style one and he’ll be strong in the clinches. I don’t want to be getting thrown around like a rag doll in the ring, so we’ve done our homework for this one,” added Turner.

Coach Taylor previously told Irish-Boxing.com that Turner was aware what a victory over a former David Haye opponent could do for his career and was training accordingly as a result.

Big Sexy echoed his coach’s belief and states he is ready for a tough eight rounds against EBU-EE champ Gjergjaj [30(22)-1(1)], although, as ever, is hopeful his power can ensure a shorter night’s work.

“I’m the fittest I’ve ever been. Hopefully it doesn’t go the distance, but I’m ready to go the eight rounds. If I get the chance to get it over before that, I’ll take it.”

Turner suffered his first pro defeat last May, dropping an eight-round decision to tough Polish journeyman Kamil Sokolowski – who went six rounds against David Price last weekend – in a surprise loss.

However, the MTK Global-backed heavyweight is adamant that he is much better prepared for his latest outing.

“I only really trained two weeks for that fight and I was squeezing in an eight-rounder to get it in before I could go for an Irish title,” said Turner. “I wasn’t really ready, but now I haven’t cut any corners. I’ve done an eight-week solid camp and there’s no excuses.”

Photo Credit: Ricardo Guglielminotti – The Fighting Irish (@ThefIrish)

dpg

irishboxing

Integral part of the Irish boxing community for over 13 years