World champ Valdez hoping to say goodbye to featherweight with massive Frampton fight

If Carl Frampton [26(15-2(0)] comes through his comeback fight this coming August he looks certain to fight Oscar Valdez [26(20)-0] for the WBO world featherweight world title before the year is out.

The Mexican made a successful sixth defense of his title when he outpointed Jason ‘El Alacrancito’ Sanchez at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center in Reno, Nevada on Saturday night

However, post the victory, his second since a return from a broken jaw – suffered in a victory over Scott Quigg early last year – Valdez admitted a move in weight may be on the cards.

The Top Rank fighter has never failed to make weight, but making it has required more effort and he wonders if it has effected his performances of late.

Yet it seems Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum believes Valdez can make the featherweight limit at least one more time and hopes to make a world title fight between both his fighters before the year is out.

“We’re going to look for a fight later on in the year between Valdez and Carl Frampton, if Frampton is successful in his next fight,” Arum, who also promotes Michael Conlan and Ryan Burnett said on Saturday. 

Valdez equally hopes to have another fight at feather, but did warn his body seems to want him to move up.

“I hope [to fight at featherweight again]” said Valdez after the fight. “I also have to listen to my body. We’re going to see what’s best. Sometimes I get tired in there, and I’m not sure if it’s because of the weight loss.

“We’ll talk about [my next move] as a team and we will do what is best. I want to fight everybody at 126, 130. Let’s do it.”

dpg

logo may

Jonny Stapleton

Irish-boxing.com contributor for 15 years and editor for the past decade. Have been covering boxing for over 16 years and writing about sport for a living for 19 years. Former Assistant Sports editor for the Gazette News Paper Group and former Tallaght Voice Sports Editor. Have had work published in publications around the world when working as a freelance journalist. Also co-founder of Junior Sports Media and Leinster Rugby PRO of the Year winner. email: [email protected]