Conlan v Dogboe December 5? Royal Storm says he has agreed to the fight

It looks like it could be former WBO super bantamweight world champion Isaac Dogboe [21(15)-2(1)] next for Michael Conlan [14(8)-0] after all.

The ‘Royal Storm’ tweeted Irish-boxing.com to confirm he has said ‘yes’ to a match up with the Belfast star.

The former world world champ said as much last month only for Conlan to claim a fight was never offered.

Speaking more recently the Olympic medal winner said he was more than willing to fight Dogboe, but suggested the Tampa based 26-year-old had said he wasn’t keen on a return to 122lbs.

Tweeting Irish-boxing.com today, a fighter who had his second fight at the Waterfront Hall in Belfast, suggested otherwise and claimed had said yes to the fight.

He also said he see’s the Top Rank contender as the quickest route back to world titles.

It’s believed Conlan will next appear on a December 5 card alongside Tyson Fury.

Dogboe and Ionut Baluta were the names shouted loudest when it came to rumoured opponents. It now seems the Ghanaian with London ties is the man standing between the former amateur standout and a coveted world title fight.

Win before Christmas and the Adam Booth trainer will be next in line for the winner of Angelo Leo versus Stephen Fulton’s WBO world title fight.

The WBO#2 should challenge for the belt in Madison Square Garden come March, pandemic permitting.

There are some that argue a form Dogboe would provide a stiffer test to Conlan than either of the aforementioned Americans.

Dogboe defeated Jessie Magdaleno to become a world champ in April of 2018, defended successfully against Hidenori Otake before losing it to now two weight world champ Emanuel Navarrete.

Jonny Stapleton

Irish-boxing.com contributor for 15 years and editor for the past decade. Have been covering boxing for over 16 years and writing about sport for a living for 19 years. Former Assistant Sports editor for the Gazette News Paper Group and former Tallaght Voice Sports Editor. Have had work published in publications around the world when working as a freelance journalist. Also co-founder of Junior Sports Media and Leinster Rugby PRO of the Year winner. email: editoririshboxing@gmail.com