IBF super flyweight World title hopeful Paul Butler has told Jamie Conlan to get in touch if he wants a fight.
Conlan has pursued the former British and IBF bantamweight champion for a number of years and became increasingly frustrated he couldn’t secure a shot at the Liverpool native.
Indeed, promoter Barry McGuigan hit out last year as Bulter moved to bantamweight to challenge for a World title, but managed to hold on to the British super flyweight strap. The Irish boxing legend called for Butler to fight Conlan or vacate.
Late last year the WBO ratified a World title eliminator between the Belfast fighter and his fellow little man, much to Conlan’s delight. However Butler elected to go the IBF route and Conlan faces fellow highly ranked puncher Warlito Parrenas in what Irish fight fans hope will be a World title eliminator.
But speaking over the weekend Butler suggested Team Conlan had previously turned down the fight. The undefeated Liverpool native was in Belfast supporting gym mate Ciaran McVarnock at the Devinish on Saturday night and said he would welcome a Conlan fight and claims it would be a massive bout in 2015.
“Yes, I have watched him a few times and the fight is there if he wants it.
“He is a good kid, but I am a better kid. I am mandatory for the WBO title and he is pushing his way up the rankings, so let us get a final eliminator for that title set-up.
“We wanted to push forward with that but they did not want it, they seem to want to move off in a different direction.
“But it will be a massive fight for the two of us in the coming months,” said Butler.