Pizza piss – Dylan Moran tells Deniz Ilbay to stop worrying about his diet and deliver big fight now

Dylan Moran [13(6)-1(1)] wants a bout with Deniz Ilbay [22(10)-2(0)] delivered as quick as the pizza the German has slated him for eating.

The Waterford welter was meant to meet the German in Germany on April 4 but for lockdown to put paid to those plans.

Ilbay has won a host of titles and his two losses come to recent Terence Crawford opponent Egidijus Kavaliauskas [21(17)-1(1)-1] and less impressively Jonathan Jose Eniz [24(9)-13(4)-1] where he was defeated on a split decision.

In that respect he looked set to provide a stiff test for Moran, not to mention the clash was to be for a ranking title, meaning a world ranking was to be on the line.

‘The Real Deal’ confirmed he would fight in Liechtenstein on August 8 last week, but a fight with Ilbay, although eventually inevitable, didn’t seem likely, as it was assumed it was a clash that would be held for a German card populate by a crowd.

However, the 25-year-old PGP Boxing fighter yesterday took to social media to call for the fight now, a move that sparked some verbal sparring.

Speaking to Irish-boxing.com Moran explained he doesn’t want to wait around any longer and is keen to have the crossover fight come August 8.

“Denis Ilbay is the top dog over here and I want to to fight him there’s no more to it.

“The fight got cancelled because of the virus so let’s do it now. He says he’s ready, I’m ready, so let’s go,” he adds before discussing the Pizza Gate.

“He seen me eating a pizza and thinks I’m not ready. I’m the one looking for the fight I could keep eating pizzas and beat him.”

It’s a change of approach from one of Ireland’s renowned nice guys, but believing he has served his time he put all noteworthy welters on notice.

The Deise fighter told Irish-boxing.com he was ready to start dropping names and verbally pushing for the kind of fights he feels he deserves.

It’s not the first time pizza has played a part in the build up to a fight involving an Irish fighter.

Regan Buckley was more than keen to share pictures of himself eating the fast food ahead of his all Irish clash with now Irish champ Carl McDonald.

Jonny Stapleton

Irish-boxing.com contributor for 15 years and editor for the past decade. Have been covering boxing for over 16 years and writing about sport for a living for 19 years. Former Assistant Sports editor for the Gazette News Paper Group and former Tallaght Voice Sports Editor. Have had work published in publications around the world when working as a freelance journalist. Also co-founder of Junior Sports Media and Leinster Rugby PRO of the Year winner. email: [email protected]