Battle of the Captials undercard wrap

June 26 Jonny Stapleton

Spike Stops Long

It was a case of capital punishment on the ‘Clash of the Capitals’ card in the National Stadium on Saturday, as Dubliners Robbie Long and Brendan Fitzpatrick were both stopped in the first round of their all Irish contests.

Both domestic dust ups promised fireworks and delivered but not in the manner in which was expected. Explosive power ensured dynamite endings to bouts that were expected to be keenly contested into the latter rounds.

Cork’s Spike O’Sullivan displayed why Frank Warren signed him with a calm, calculated and powerful decimation of renowned tough man Robbie Long within 2:43 seconds of round one of their Irish middleweight title fight.

O’Sullivan, who now has nine knock outs in 12 fights, certainly looked a class above Irish domestic level taking apart with ease a fighter, who holds a win over WBA world number 11 Anthony Fitzgerald.

The proud Cork man, who attributes some of his raw power to his Currach rowing, raised his hand in mock victory a minute into the bout after landing a left to Long’s temple.

The celebration might have been premature but not by much, as the referee eventually lifted O’Sullivan’s hand moments after he was forced to intervene as a brave long climbed off the floor.

Belfast’s renaissance man Ciaran Healy took less time to beat his foe registering his second successive domestic knock out just two minutes into his latest clash.

A drink free dry Healy had novice pro Brendan Fitzpatrick drunk on the deck after a sensational straight right left hook combo.

Fittingly Eamonn ‘The Terminator’ Magee brought an end to proceedings and stepped into the ring before referee could administer the ten count.

The Belfast fighter, who labelled the National Stadium his Germany having lost a number close decision on the South Circular Road, claimed he needed a knock out to win and he certainly delivered.

Bill topper Patrick Hyland’s younger brother Paulie continued the nights knock out theme eventually stopping Stoyan Serbezov 24 seconds into round five of their super bantamweight contest.

The former European title challenger put his continental defeat to Willie Casey behind him by halting a fighting that took the Limerick man the distance.

Hyland did look a little laboured in the early rounds but eventually found his flow as the fight came to a close. And it seems all his work with Joe Clifford paid dividends as he took short route to victory.

The oldest of the three champion siblings Eddie Hyland made a long over due return to the ring in the card promoted by his father, but there was nothing prolonged about his latest boxing innings.

The Irish super featherweight champion stopped his opponent Asen Vasilev 24 seconds into round three of their middleweight contest.

O’Sullivan’s Frank Warren stable mate, Stephen Ormond was another to make irrelevant the score card. The Clondalkin fighter, who is set for a some form title fight in September, broke Valentin Stoychev’s spirit with a power laden display before nearly breaking his jaw with a sensational right just 12 seconds shy of the fifth bell.

In keeping with the theme of the night there was a knock down in Finbarr Eade and Radoslav Mitev’s six round clash.

However, it came the way of the Bulgarian. Mitev, who won in Belfast earlier this year took advantage as Eade dropped his hands in the last few seconds.

The westerner jumped straight back up and his boxing skills in the previous rounds ensured he claimed a comfortable 58-54 victory.






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

14 − five =