Classic Irish Boxing: Chavez Jr ducks Fagan rematch
June 20th, 2005 – by Tomas Rohan
Oklahoma based Oisin Fagan has returned home to his native Dublin for a summer break but if everything had gone to plan the 31-year-old lightweight would find himself in Atlantic City this weekend for a rematch with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Fagan first took on the son of the modern day legend of the same name in February of 2004 on an Erik Morales undercard at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas. The Portmarnock native was looking forward to having a second crack at the Mexican this weekend on another high profile show in Atlantic City. Topping the bill is the WBC light welterweight title clash between Arturo Gatti and Floyd Mayweather Jr but Fagan looked to have secured his rematch with Chavez Jr. on the undercard until the rug was pulled from under his feet by the Mexican’s management team.
Fagan lost out to Chavez Jr. on a four rounds points decision when they met in Las Vegas and he has been seeking a return ever since. “I had been looking forward to this fight for a long time. I even wrote to Chavez Jr. before his last fight in Vegas, asking for a rematch. I was as courteous as can be, because he’s a pretty nice kid to be honest and I hold no animosity towards him. I asked him straight out for a rematch, but got no reply.”
With the rematch with Chavez looking increasingly unlikely Fagan, a school teacher booked a flight back to Dublin for the summer break but then all of a sudden his plans seemed to change again. “Fernando Beltran, Chavez’s promoter, called my promoter and we thought we had a deal for Atlantic City on the 25th of June. I cancelled my flight home to Dublin, as we were told everything was in order for the rematch, but the day before they were supposed to send me the contract, they called back and said, ‘Fagan’s too tough for him right now. He gave him a hell of a fight the last time, his toughest yet.’ Although it was kind of flattering to be told that I’d given him the hardest fight of his career, it didn’t compensate much in lieu of a rematch.”
“If they thought I was too tough for him in the first place, then why did they even bother contemplating the rematch? They got my hopes up, as it was due to be on the under-card of Gatti V’s Mayweather where I could have received maximum exposure on a huge Pay-Per-View event, but then, they pulled the rug from underneath me. Not only did I lose about a grand for the price of a cancelled ticket to Dublin, but, I was also done out of my biggest pay day thus far, by a long shot.”
Despite the disappointment Fagan hasn’t yet given up on the hope of getting Chavez Jr. back in the ring again. “All I can do now is continue to train as hard as ever and hope that the opportunity arises once again, when they want to increase his level of opponent, instead of fighting lads who he’s sure to knock out in a round or two.”
The touted undefeated 19-year-old is now scheduled to fight Ruben Galvan on Saturday night instead of the Dubliner.
As for Fagan he’ll enjoy his break back home in Dublin before resuming the hunt for Chavez Jr. once he gets back to Oklahoma. The former U.S. college soccer star is currently the Oklahoma lightweight champion and says that aside from a rematch with Chavez Jr. he would also love to fight at home in Dublin if the opportunity arises.