DeMarcus ‘Chop Chop’ Corley next for ‘Dudey’
By Jonny Stapleton
Paul McCloskey will face former WBO light welterweight champion DeMarcus Corley instead of Julio Diaz in the Kings Hall on May 5.
Former WBO and IBF lightweight champion, Diaz withdrew due to problems making the weight and after a unsuccessful bid to lure Thailand’s WBC international champion Prawet Singwancha the Derry fighter has signed to fight the American.
A titlist a decade ago, Corley was a big name in the mid 2000’s. However, has gone 2-8 in his last 10 fights, and at 37 his best days are clearly behind him. That said, he comes off a 10-round points victory over previously unbeaten Gabriel Bracero in which he picked up the NABF 140-pound belt, so he still retains a certain relevance.
The former fan favourite, who shared the ring with the likes of Floyd Mayweather Jr, Miguel Cotto, Devon Alexander and Zab Judah in his pomp, is also ranked number 15 with the WBC and ’Dudey’s’ Manager Francie McNicholl believes he will provide passage to a coveted world title shot.
If McCloskey, who has had massive problems securing an opponent since defeating Bredis Prescott in Septemeber, passes the American test, McNicholl claims he will fight the winner of Danny Garcia yet to be confirmed WBC title fight with Ajose Olusegun.
“ Julio Diaz withdrew citing weight problems, We then made a fight with Thailands Singwancha, who is ranked number 5 with WBC, but after agreeing terms he then said he needed more time to prepare. Obviously we could not change the date so we have agreed terms with Demarcus Corley to fight on may 5th,” McNicholl told Mirror Sport.
“Corley is ranked 15 with WBC we hope if Paul can defeat Corley It will lead to a world title fight between the winner of Garcia and Olusegun later this year.”
Posted April 11th, 2012 in News
One Response to DeMarcus ‘Chop Chop’ Corley next for ‘Dudey’
Pingback: My Homepage