Monthly Archives: August 2009
26 August 2009 – By Mark Doyle
Darren Sutherlands next outing will be on the undercard of Jason Booths British super-bantamweight defence against Michael Hunter at the Seaham Centre in Sunderland on Friday, October 16.
It is a long overdue return to the ring for the Irish super-middleweight, who took his professional record to 4-0 with a fourth-round TKO of Gennadiy Raselev at the York Hall on June 30.
Sutherland had been scheduled to return to the ring in Sunderland ten days later. However, a minor cut to his right cheek put paid to that plan.
As a result, the Beijing Olympian was added to the undercard of Jamie Moores European light-middleweight title defence against Jimmy Colas, in Altrincham on July 24.
However, that card was cancelled after Moore was forced to withdraw because of a severe bout of the flu, leaving Dazzler twiddling his thumbs.
But Sutherland has now been penciled in for a scheduled six-round contest against on as yet unconfirmed opponent on the eagerly-anticipated Booth-Hunter bill.
Tickets for the show priced 90 and 35 are available from www.frankmaloney.com and 0871 226 1508.
Posted August 27th, 2009 in News
24 August 2009 – By Mark Doyle
Andy Lee took his record to 19-1 with an impressive eighth-round stoppage win over Anthony Shuler at the Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, Indiana on Friday night and immediately turned his attention to fellow Irishman John Duddy.
Lee has been repeatedly linked with a mouth-watering all-Irish middleweight showdown with Duddy and promoter Brian Peters is keen to stage the fight at the University of Limerick Sports Arena on November 28.
“I see the deal for this fight as a 50/50 one because to me the status of both men is on a par – but to make it that bit more attractive to them I’m prepared to offer a $50,000 ( 35,000) bonus to the winner, Peters is quoted as saying by Lees camp.
And after seeing off Shuler, Lee confirmed his interest in a bout which would generate huge interest in Ireland and likely propel the victor towards a world title shot.
I’m up for the fight with John Duddy. This is a fight the public have been speculating about for some considerable time and I believe it will be a memorable occasion with plenty of edge and drama, the Limerick southpaw enthused.
Posted August 25th, 2009 in News
24 August 2009 – By Cormac Campbell
John Duddy, who has been strongly linked with a major all-Irish fight with Andy Lee in November, will return to the ring on October 10.
Derryman Duddy will take part in his first contest since loosing a split decision to the unheralded Billy Lyell at Madison Square Garden in April.
No opponent has yet been named for the contest.
Posted August 25th, 2009 in News
21 August 2009 – By Cormac Campbell
John Duddys manager Craig Hamilton has told irish-boxing.com that there is a possibility that the Derryman could square off with fellow Irishman Andy Lee.
There has been intense media speculation that promoter Brian Peters is hoping to put together a deal that would bring the duo together for a domestic super-fight at the University of Limerick later this year.
Responding to an email enquiry on the matter, Hamilton said that Team Duddy are looking in to the possibility of the fight.
“There have been discussions about this and many other possibilities for John, he told irish-boxing.com. “There is nothing firm at this time.”
Posted August 21st, 2009 in News
19 August 2009 – By Cormac Campbell
Martin Rogan has split from long-term coach John Breen and will now train at the St John Bosco gym in Belfast instead.
The 38-year-old Rogan, who, on October 9, will seek to regain the Commonwealth heavyweight title against Sam Sexton at the Odyssey Arena, had been with Breen since turning professional in 2004.
The pair enjoyed incredible success together, though Rogan’s career only really took off when he won the inaugural Prizefighter series last year.
Rogan, under Breen’s tutelage, followed that success up with stunning victories over Audley Harrison and Matt Skelton.
However, Rogie suffered the first defeat of his career when he was controversially stopped by Sexton in May of this year.
Rogan has now decided to part company with Breen ahead of his rematch with Sexton.
Meanwhile, the Irish Boxing Supporters Club is organising a bus and ticket deal for Rogan v Sexton II which will depart from Newry with pick-up points en route.
For more information contact club chairman Bobby Lavery on 07808175612.
Posted August 19th, 2009 in News
19 August 2009 – By Cormac Campbell
Irish-boxing.com takes a look at some of the all-Irish clashes that we would like to see in the next year.
James Moore v Henry Coyle
Whether this little beauty is for an Irish title or not is irrelevant. This is a fight that has so much needle and history that it is sure to catch the imagination of the fans. Both boxers are coming off defeats, Moore to the fleet-footed Yuri Foreman and Coyle to the power-punching Neil Sinclair. Moore, for his part, was slated to square off with Sinclair, but with that fight falling through a clash with old rival Coyle becomes a possibility.
This is the epitome of a crossroads fight and one that really shouldnt be allowed to pass us by. Whether Team Moore and Team Coyle can come to agreeable terms on the fight remains to be seen, but there are plenty of people out there who want to see it happen.
John Duddy v Andy Lee
Two years ago it seemed a sure thing that John Duddy and/or Andy Lee would have fought for the World middleweight title by this stage. However, mixed performances have seen both men lose their unbeaten records and both are now looking to rebuild. A fight between the duo remains a major attraction and would also bolster the winners chances to secure a European or even World title tilt. Recent media reports have indicated that negotiations have taken place in a bid to put the fight together, whether this happens remains to be seen, but we wait with baited breath.
Stephen Haughian v John ODonnell
A clash between Irish welterweight champion Haughian and Commonwealth champion ODonnell is something most of us believed would have already taken place by now. The duo look well matched and with Haughian having developed a sizeable fanbase. a clash between the two would be strong enough to feature either as chief support on an O2/Kings Hall/Odyssey bill or indeed as a main event in its own right at a venue such as the Ulster Hall.
Kevin OHara v Oisin Fagan
Two boxers who always put it all on the line. OHara v Fagan at super-featherweight would be a belter. Having worked together in Breens gym in Belfast the duo will know each others abilities well and with both men coming off defeats in title fights, a match-up between the two would offer the winner the opportunity to get right back into the mix.
Martin Lindsay v Patrick Hyland
British champion Lindsay against Irish champion Hyland would make for a massive event, either in Belfast or Dublin. Lindsay won the Lonsdale belt in spectacular fashion with a stoppage victory in April, whilst Hyland has further enhanced his reputation by picking up the IBF international belt. What is for sure is that both men have ability above their current standings and with both ranked by the IBF a clash between the two could help set up a World title shot for the winner.
Martin Rogan v Tyson Fury
Regardless of the outcome of Rogan’s rematch with Sam Sexton, a clash between The Entertainer and Tyson Fury would make a wonderful event. In the past Fury has said that Rogan is the only boxer on the British and Irish scene that he rates, whilst the Englishman of Irish stock is rapidly climbing the ranks. Facing Rogan either in a Commonwealth or Irish title fight would certainly sell tickets and attract major tv backing.
Posted August 19th, 2009 in News
18 August 2009 – By Mark Doyle
The Irish Amateur Boxing Association has unveiled its 11-man squad for next months AIBA World Senior Championships in Milan.
The panel contains two medalists from the Beijing Olympics in the shape of light-heavyweight star Ken Egan and Belfast light-flyweight Paddy Barnes.
European Union champions David Oliver Joyce (featherweight), Darren ONeill (middleweight) and Con Sheehan (heavyweight) will also make the trip to Italy.
In total, there are nine senior champions in the side and IABA president Dominic ORourke is confident that the countrys top young talent will be able to maintain their excellent recent run of results on the international stage.
The 2009 AIBA World Senior Boxing Championships will be another key tournament for Irish amateur boxing, he enthused.
The last few seasons have been an incredibly successful time for the sport as we have won medals at every international tournament we have entered, including the Olympics Games.
“The upcoming Championships in Milan will be another tough test for our squad. But they will draw a lot of confidence from their performances against some of best in the world over the last few years and that will stand to them in Milan.
“I would be quietly confident that we will do well and on behalf of the IABA I wish everyone involved with the Irish squad the very best of luck in Milan.
Irish 2009 AIBA World Championships Squad:
48Kg: (Light flyweight) Paddy Barnes (Holy Family, Belfast)51Kg: (Flyweight) Declan Geraghty (Dublin Docklands)54Kg: (Bantamweight) John Joe Nevin (Cavan)57Kg: (Featherweight) David Oliver Joyce (St Michael’s Athy)60Kg: (Lightweight) Eric Donovan (St Michael’s Athy)64Kg: (Light welterweight) Philip Sutcliffe (Crumlin)69Kg: (Welterweight) Willie McLaughlin (Illies GG, Donegal)75Kg: (Middleweight) Darren O’Neill (Paulstown, Kilkenny) 81Kg: (Light heavyweight) Ken Egan (Neilstown)91Kg: (Heavyweight) Con Sheehan (Clonmel)91+Kg: (Super heavyweight) Cathal McMonagle (Holy Trinity, Belfast)
Posted August 18th, 2009 in News
18 August 2009 – By Neil Sinclair
Although Im definitely fighting on the Odyssey card on October 9, unfortunately it wont be against James Moore. I would have liked to have defended my Irish title against James and it could still happen before the end of the year – but for now it seems his team couldnt agree terms for the fight.
Thats a shame because it would have been a high-profile fight for both of us and would have made for a great contest.
In the longer term, Id be happy to go to New York to make the fight happen even as a St Patricks Day attraction, but for now Im happy to take any major fight, whether that is at light-middleweight or back down at welter.
I moved up to light-middleweight because there was an opportunity. I can still comfortably make welter so if there was opportunity Id move back down. I wouldnt rule anything out.
On the Odyssey card Ill be fighting a non-title eight rounder. Im not sure of the opponent but I would like to keep climbing the ladder so a fight against anyone who would help my British, Commonwealth or European ranking would be great for the October fight.
The Coyle fight was a great boost and since then Ive been working well in the gym. Ive a good seven or eight weeks of hard work in front of me and at this stage of my career I have to treat every fight as a title fight even if it is only an eight-rounder. I dont make a distinction. Every fight I view as my last. The winning isnt enough – I want to look good doing it.
Jim Watt and Adam Smith from Sky said last time that I could still be a force and I believe that. Ive hit form its been a long time coming and the only reason I stuck at it was because I knew it would happen. Ive just got to build on that.
Its the 100th anniversary of the BBBC later this year, so as an outright British champion Ive been invited to that and Im looking forward to it. It should be a great night and there will be a lot of great fighters there.
There is a new guy in the gym, Jamie Conlon. He was a top amateur and I think he will do well as a pro. I like what I see from his training and attitude. He realises people dont care how you look in the gym only how you look on fight night. Hes coming up to his pro debut which Im sure he will relish. I loved my pro debut. Obviously it gets harder and harder but he knows what he is doing and he has an exciting future so watch this space.
Posted August 18th, 2009 in News
12 August 2009 – By Mark Doyle
Emanuel Steward has revealed that a planned bout between Andy Lee and John Duddy was scrapped because of a lack of interest from US broadcaster HBO.
Steward, who trains Limerick middleweight Lee, had been keen to match his protg with New York-based Derry native Duddy.
However, the legendary American trainer claims that HBO were not interested in the fight because Duddy’s stock has fallen dramatically since his shock points defeat by journeyman Billy Lyell in April of this year.
“We were trying to have a fight between Andy Lee and John Duddy, which would do very well in New York, where we were going to have it at,” Steward told On the Ropes radio.
“But HBO said that they weren’t interested, not so much of because of Andy, because since his loss to (Brian) Vera, Lee has knocked out Willie Gibbs in the 10th round and has had two other good wins, but because of Duddy’s last performance (against Lyell).”
Lee, though, has hardly been in scintillating form himself of late. Indeed, while he has claimed three successive wins since his shock stoppage defeat to Vera last year, he looked less than convincing in his most recent outing, a points win over Olegs Fedotovs over six scheduled rounds in June.
However, Steward feels that Lee’s recent injury woes must be taken into account when assessing his recent performances.
“In Andy’s last two fights he’s had eye problems. His cuts have reopened so we’ve had to back off a lot and get surgery,” he explained.
And Steward believes that if Lee can stay injury-free in the coming months it will not be long before he challenges for a major belt.
“If you really look at the middleweight division and think of marquee names, after Kelly Pavlik you’re almost dead,” he argued. “The biggest names are probably Duddy and Andy Lee. It’s a no name division.
“So there’s not that much out there but hopefully if he (Lee) wins two or three more fights he’ll probably be fighting for a title soon.”
Posted August 13th, 2009 in News
13 August 2009 – By Mark Doyle
Matthew Macklin has reiterated his desire for a mouth-watering middleweight showdown with Andy Lee.
British and Irish titleholder Macklin is currently readying himself for his eagerly-awaited clash with European champion Amin Asikainen, in Manchester on September 25.
However, the Birmingham-based Irishman has revealed that should he emerge victorious, he would be more than happy to defend his title against Limerick native Lee.
“That would be a great fight for Irish boxing fans,” Macklin said. “It would be the biggest all Irish fight for a long, long time and to have a major belt like a European title on the line would make it a massive occasion.
“Andys a good fighter and a decent lad but business is business at the end of the day and if Im European Champion then I think its a fight that makes real sense.
Still, Macklin is refusing to look to far ahead, as he knows that dethroning Asikainen will be far from straightforward.
“A defence in Ireland against Andy Lee would be great but for now Im just concentrating on winning the title,” he insisted.
“Asikainen is a world-class fighter; he first won the European title fight back in 2006 so hes very experienced at this level. Hes currently rated number 4 in the World with the IBF so I know that beating him would put me within touching distance of a shot at the World title.”